According to recent surveys by the National Institute on Drug Use, the United States saw its most significant one-year decrease in reported drug use (marijuana, LSD, crack, cocaine, heroin, narcotics, prescription drugs, etc.) among teenagers and adolescents between 2020 and 2021.
Those numbers include a nearly 5% decrease among senior students, an about 12% decrease among sophomores, and more than a 5% decrease among eighth-grade students. While this is good news, it doesn’t include alcohol addiction, and there are millions of others left struggling.
And while most people think rehab and addiction treatment programs are reserved for adults, that’s simply not true. There are a wide range of treatment facilities and programs catered to promote recovery and health in the teenage population – and they’re ready and willing to help!
How is Teen Addiction Different?
Teen drug users often face similar consequences as adult drug users – including crime, injury, violence, and death. With that said, the reasons why teenagers abuse drugs often differ from that of an adult. The treatment plan will also differ since teens have different needs than adults.
For example, some of the most common reasons teenagers use or abuse drugs include:
- To fit in with their peers, giving in to peer pressure
- In seek of a thrill, euphoria, that ‘high’ feeling
- To experiment, either alone or with friends
- In hopes of hiding pain or to cope with emotions
- The need to improve athletic or academic performance
- Lack of education about how dangerous drugs are
- Lack of guidance or direction from parents or guardians
Another thing that makes teenage drug addiction different is the fact that a teenager’s mind, body, and soul are still growing and developing. Addiction impacts a teen’s health, wellness, and behavior, but it impacts their growth and development – which is devastating.
How Does Teen Rehab Differ from Other Programs?
Helping a teenager overcome their drug addiction often requires a unique, custom, tailored, and particular treatment plan when compared to an adult. If not done correctly, the teenager can continue to suffer, and the addiction will only lead to other problems as they enter adulthood.
Substance abuse treatment for teens must take this into account, but it also must factor in the teenager’s studies and academics. That’s why a lot of teenage rehab centers either offer on-site schooling or operate on an outpatient basis to allow the teenager to continue attending school.
Another way teen rehab differs from adult rehab is family involvement. While it’s important in adult rehab for family members to show support, they’re often more involved in a teenager’s rehab and play a much more crucial role in the overall success of addiction rehab for teens.
Are There Addiction Treatment Programs for Teens?
Believe it or not, there are a wide range of options when interested in substance abuse treatment for teens. These programs take into account the unique needs of a teenager and the many different factors that play a role in helping a teen successfully overcome drug addiction.
Some of the significant benefits of addiction treatment programs for teens include:
- Access to the right therapy, medication, and professional help
- Undergo a controlled detoxification process
- Understand how to cope with withdrawal symptoms
- Decrease dependence on drugs and other substances
- Outpatient programs allow for the teen to continue education
- Improve overall physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health
- Learn about the dangers and risks of drug and substance use
- Be around other teenagers going through the same thing
Let’s take a look at some of the most prominent warning signs that your child might need teen rehab:
- Secretive or suspicious behavior
- Constantly stealing or asking for money
- Sudden drop in academic performance and/or grades
- Physical changes (bloodshot eyes, constant sniffling, wounds, weight changes)
- Mood swings, irritability, and agitation
- Stress, depression, and anxiety
- Lack of interest in things they used to love
- Tried to stop doing drugs, but relapsed
Teen addiction treatment programs often combine therapy with medication and lifestyle changes to curb addiction and promote a healthier lifestyle that reduces the chances of relapse in the future. By the time treatment is over, your teen will be well on their way to a quality life.
How to Find Teen Addiction Treatment Programs
Is your son or daughter suffering from a drug or substance addiction? Are you worried they’re going to hurt themselves? Do you want them to get the help they so desperately need? Don’t worry; you’re not alone, and there are a wide range of ways you can help them recover.
Addiction treatment programs for teens can be found all across the nation. At The Last House, we believe in providing teens with the necessary guidance, direction, advice, support, help, and resources when overcoming addiction. Our human-centric, custom approach is one-of-a-kind.
If you want your teenage son or daughter to make real, lasting change in their lives, you’ve come to the right place. Our program is tailored to meet the needs of each unique individual. Contact us today to learn more about our Los Angeles addiction program and how it can help your teenage child!