When drug and alcohol use turns into abuse or addiction, immediate treatment and attention are necessary. These harmful substances can cause significant harm to the body, especially when misused and abused. The good news is that drug addiction is a treatable condition.
The first step in treating drug addiction or substance abuse is completing the detoxification process, which is designed to flush any and all harmful substances from the body. Once that’s complete, you will undergo a combination of therapy, medication, and changes to your lifestyle.
When treatment comes to an end, the patient is often forced back into the real world and expected to immediately apply all the things they’ve learned in rehab. While some people make this transition look very easy, others will struggle – but that’s where aftercare comes into play.
How Long Does Addiction Treatment Programs Last?
Since everyone has a unique experience with drug addiction, they often require a unique, custom, and tailored treatment plan designed to suit their specific, individual needs. No two treatments are the same, and there’s no telling how long someone will need to fully recover.
With that said, most programs are either one week, 30 days, 60 days, or 90 days long – though aftercare is available in most scenarios. Let’s take a closer look at each treatment program:
- Detox Program – a one-week or two-week program that focuses on detoxing the body.
- 30-Day Program – a one-month program that is best suited for minor cases of addiction or used as a stepping stone into more intensive treatment.
- 60-Day Program – a two-month program that allows for more time spent with therapists, counselors, and other health professionals.
- 90-Day Program – a three-month program that is best suited for severe cases of addiction and those that need extra attention.
- Extended Aftercare – utilized as a post-rehab treatment option to help individuals make the transition back into a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.
The long-term programs are more suited for those with severe cases of addiction or substance use, but a lot of people get their feet wet with a short-term program before determining where to go from there. Again, it’s going to be unique to each individual – there’s no cookie-cutter solution.
What is Aftercare in Addiction Treatment?
In regards to addiction treatment, ‘aftercare’ refers to the ongoing treatment of a patient after they complete their rehab program. It’s a way for rehab facilities, therapists, and psychiatrists to closely monitor the patient as they assimilate back into a normal, everyday routine in life.
Some of the services and features included in aftercare treatment include:
- Home visits and drug tests
- Financial planning and monitoring
- Employment opportunities
- Relapse prevention
- Ongoing therapy and consultations
- 12-step meeting attendance
- Support groups and other meetings
- Social gatherings and group activities
- Advice, guidance, second opinions, etc.
A good example of aftercare treatment are rehab alumni programs – or what we call a ‘Phase Out Program’ here at The Last House. They’re designed for those that completed rehab, but aren’t ready to make the transition back into normal society – avoiding the potential for relapse.
What is the Importance of Aftercare in Recovery?
Aftercare plays an important role in the addiction recovery process, giving patients the support and resources needed after completing rehab. This not only makes the transition to normal life much easier for the individual, but it reduces their chances of relapsing or abusing drugs again.
Let’s take a look at some of the most prominent benefits and overall importance of aftercare in addiction treatment:
- Closely monitor the individual after completing rehab
- Learn valuable relapse prevention techniques and methods
- More effective transition back into a normal lifestyle
- Ongoing treatment accounts for ‘bumps in the road’ later on
- Patients get to keep in touch with friends and professionals that helped them recover
- Access to educational materials and other resources to help avoid relapse
With the right post-rehab support, patients can enjoy a successful recovery as they regain that sense of control in their life. It goes a long way in helping them sustain their sobriety long-term, which isn’t always a guarantee after completing rehab – especially with more severe cases.
Finding Comprehensive Aftercare Programs
Are you looking for a comprehensive halfway house, sober living home in Southern California, or aftercare program? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. At The Last House, we offer Los Angeles aftercare treatment for those looking to safely and successfully live a life without drugs or harmful substances.
Contact us today to learn more about our sober living opportunities and how they can help you lead a happier, healthier, more rewarding life. You can schedule a tour of our home to see if it’s the right fit for you or your loved one. Together, your journey towards recovery is imminent.